Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Are there scans besides the magnifying glass?

Is there any kind of scan that they can do besides just looking over your body with a lighted magnifying glass?

Community Answers
  • April Pulliam moderator
    2 years ago

    I saw your question a couple days ago and started to answer you but wanted to do some research on the question first. It looks like just since you posted your question that there has been a new scan introduced which pinpoints heat irregularities in the skin indicating possible areas of melanoma. This device, called Skan, was developed in Canada.

    It looks like there are thermal imaging devices available in some areas but are found primarily in larger and “well-funded establishments.

    My dermatologist has only used the lighted microscope technique you mentioned in order to check my skin. Between my own self-checks and regular check-ups with my doctor, we have managed to catch each incident of basal cell carcinoma.

    Like you, I would love to wake up tomorrow and find better news regarding methods of identification!

  • Share Your Answer