Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer
“If you’re gonna get cancer, skin cancer’s the one to get”

“If you’re gonna get cancer, skin cancer’s the one to get”

I was actually told this by a friend, a week after being diagnosed stage 3 malignant melanoma. My 13 year old son had spotted a mole on my ear and I was misdiagnosed by a pharmacist who told me it was an infected spot, “if it gets hot, go to a doctor”. 3 months later my mum spotted “Fred” behind my ear and sent me straight to the doctor. I was told on a scale of 1-10 I was a 9 for cancer and fast tracked. I had my first operation September to remove the initial mole, October I had wide local incision with reconstruction of my ear and a couple of nodes removed. They showed positive for cancer so on Friday 13th January I had the lymph nodes and my parotid salivary gland removed. After testing they all showed microscopic traces of cancer so I had intensive radiotherapy. I’m now waiting to see if I have to have immunotherapy. Limbo is hard. On the positive note, I have no mortgage now, my 14 year old has taught himself to play the guitar as a form of therapy and it turns out he has a natural talent, I’m a hope ambassador for Cancer Support Yorkshire and I have a new outlook on life. I don’t sweat the small stuff and have truly learnt who my friends are. Unfortunately I lost my so called best friend who lied about having cancer!!! Who lies about that!!! But I’m better off knowing that the people I have in my life are real.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The SkinCancer.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

• April Pulliam moderator
    2 years ago

So happy for you! That’s wonderful news!

• T.J.
    2 years ago

I have actually used similar words – if you are going to get melanoma, now is the time to get it. Cannot speak for your friend but as a fellow melanoma patient, it became clear to me that ten years ago many people, including myself, would not have survived had it not been for many of the advances made in medicine in the last decade. So while it might not have been said in the right way, it actually is somewhat true.
    Keep stating strong and congrats on the scans!

• Nina M moderator
    2 years ago

Although I’m very sorry to hear all that you’ve been through, @sassybro, I’m really glad you shared this. Stage 3 melanoma is a very different ballgame than other skin cancer diagnoses. As your story shows, treatment can begin all of a sudden and proceed very fast. How wonderful that you have loved ones – including a seemingly very impressive teenager – looking out for you throughout. You’ve got some pretty great positives – and your own attitude towards them is incredibly wise and positive as well! We’re so happy to have your perspective on our site for others to take strength from. Thank you for using your experience for good as a volunteer and as a community member here. Best, Nina (SkinCancer.net Team)

• sassybro author
    2 years ago

Thank you @ninahu, on my good days he’s a typical teen, trust me, but he has gained a responsibility and empathy on my bad. Unfortunately at the moment have been many. Had to go for an emergency brain scan yesterday that luckily came back clear. Been over doing it with work, but bills don’t stop because of Cancer. Fingers crossed for NED today x

• Nina M moderator
    2 years ago

Haha @sassybro, a blessing that he can still be a typical teen, as hard as it is for those around him! Glad to hear the brain scan came out well and sorry that the work piles on. When you’re free, check back and let us know how today goes. Fingers crossed for you! – Nina (SkinCancer.net Team)

• sassybro author
    2 years ago

Yesterday I got NED!!! Relieved is not the word!!! Have mutated gene so they will be keeping close eye on me. I’ve won this battle, hopefully won’t be more, but if there is, I will be prepared x

• April Pulliam moderator
    2 years ago

Great news! So happy for you!

• Nina M moderator
    2 years ago

Great news!!! Of course you can never know what the future will bring, but as you say, you’re well prepared for whatever comes. Now it’s time to celebrate!!

• Poll