Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

3 days post BCC excision

My friends said this would be no big deal, but I'm very emotional looking at 3 in. of stitches down my arm. I wasn't expecting this.

1. It is completely normal to be emotional, ! I wonder if your friends have had skin cancer treatment before? So often, those who haven't had skin cancer can't understand the emotional side of it. Many struggle with the permanence of a scar, and the fact that they weren't told how serious the treatment would be. Are these some of the things you're dealing with?

I'm sharing this article on a couple of different approaches to scars: https://skincancer.net/life-with-skin-cancer/dealing-scars. And know that your feelings and thoughts will likely change quite a bit, as time goes by.

- Nina, SkinCancer.net Team

1. Thank you Nina! I guess the stitches schocked me into the reality of what this really is. Having a scar doesn’t bother me, I think it is what the scar represents. I thought they were just going to peel a couple layers off, not excise it. Great article! Thank you for your support!

1. Well put, , it so often is what the scar represents. It is shocking how little one is told beforehand! You're very welcome, and do let me know if there's anything I can help you find on the site! - Nina, SkinCancer.net Team

Please read our rules before posting.