What Does Melanoma Look Like?
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- McClain SE, Mayo KB, Shada AL, et al. Amelanotic melanomas presenting as red skin lesions: a diagnostic challenge with potentially lethal consequences. Int J Dermatol. 2012;51:420-426.
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf
- NCCN Guidelines for Patients: Melanoma. Version 1.2016. Accessed February 2, 2017 at: https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/melanoma/
- Shenenberger DW. Cutaneous malignant melanoma: a primary care perspective. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85:161-168.
- Gaudy-Marqueste C, Wazaefi Y, Bruneu Y, et al. Ugly duckling sign as a major factor of efficiency in melanoma detection. JAMA Dermatol. 2017 Feb 8.
- AADA provides input on skin cancer screening recommendation [press release]. January 8, 2016. Accessed March 1, 2017 at: https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/aada-provides-input-on-skin-cancer-screening-recommendation
- Grob JJ, Bonerandi JJ. The 'ugly duckling' sign: identification of the common characteristics of nevi in an individual as a basis for melanoma screening. Arch Dermatol. 1998;134:103-104.
- Stojkovic-Filipovic J, Kittler H. Dermatoscopy of amelanotic and hypomelanotic melanoma. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2014;12:467-472.
- Jaimes N, Braun RP, Thomas L, Marghoob AA. Clinical and dermoscopic characteristics of amelanotic melanomas that are not of the nodular subtype. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2012;26:591-596.