Skin Cancer in Children
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- Paller AS, Hawk JL, Honig P, Giam YC, Hoath S, Mack MC, Stamatas GN. New insights about infant and toddler skin: implications for sun protection. Pediatrics. 2011;128:92-102.
- Biniek K, Levi K, Dauskardt RH. Solar UV radiation reduces the barrier function of human skin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17111-17116.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Tips to stay safe in the sun: From sunscreen to sunglasses. Accessed January 23, 2017 at: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm049090.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sun safety. Accessed January 23, 2017 at: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/sun-safety.htm.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Protect your skin from the sun. Accessed January 23, 2017 at: https://www.aad.org/public/kids/skin/taking-care-of-your-skin/protect-your-skin-from-the-sun
- American Academy of Dermatology. Sunscreen FAQs. Accessed January 23, 2017 at: https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care/sunscreen-faqs
- Kann L, McManus T, Harris WA, et al. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance - United States, 2015. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2016;65:1-174.
- Lazovich D, Isaksson Vogel R, et al. Association between indoor tanning and melanoma in younger men and women. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152:268-275.
- National Conference of State Legislature. Indoor tanning restrictions for minors: A state-by-state comparison. Accessed February 18, 2017 at: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/indoor-tanning-restrictions.aspx
- Hillhouse J, Turrisi R, Stapleton J, Robinson J. A randomized controlled trial of an appearance-focused intervention to prevent skin cancer. Cancer. 2008;113:3257-3266.
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2013, National Cancer Institute. Melanoma of the Skin (Invasive); Table 16.7. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/, based on November 2015 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2016.
- Han D, Zager JS, Han G, et al. The unique clinical characteristics of melanoma diagnosed in children. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19:3888-3895.
- Green AC, Wallingford SC, McBride P. Childhood exposure to ultraviolet radiation and harmful skin effects: epidemiological evidence. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2011;107:349-355.
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf