Skin Cancer in Women
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: November 2019.
- Lowe GC, Saavedra A, Reed KB, et al. Increasing incidence of melanoma among middle-aged adults: an epidemiologic study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89:52-59.
- Reed KB, Brewer JD, Lohse CM, et al. Increasing incidence of melanoma among young adults: an epidemiological study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Mayo Clin Proc. 2012;87:328-334.
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf
- American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures, 2017. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-048738.pdf
- US Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Prevent Skin Cancer. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General; 2014. Accessed February 14, 2017 at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov.
- Rate of New Cancers: Melanoma of the Skin, United States, 2016. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://gis.cdc.gov/Cancer/USCS/DataViz.html Published June 2019. Accessed October 29, 2019.
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2013, National Cancer Institute. Melanoma of the Skin (Invasive); Table 16.7. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/, based on November 2015 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2016.
- Melanoma: What Women Need to Know About this Skin Cancer. Johns Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/melanoma/melanoma-what-women-need-to-know-about-this-skin-cancer 2019. Accessed October 28, 2019.
- Skin Cancer. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/media/stats-skin-cancer 2019. Accessed October 28, 2019.
- Lazovich D, Isaksson Vogel R, et al. Association between indoor tanning and melanoma in younger men and women. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152:268-275.
- 10 Surprising Facts About Skin Cancer. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/diseases/skin-cancer/surprising-facts-about-indoor-tanning Published April 11, 2018. Accessed October 29, 2019.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Use of indoor tanning devices by adults--United States, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:323-326.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Sunburn and sun protective behaviors among adults aged 18-29 years--United States, 2000-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012 May 11;61(18):317-22.
- Cavallo J. Why melanoma rates are increasing in adolescents and young adults, especially among females. The ASCO Post. November 10, 2015. Accessed March 23, 2017 at: http://www.ascopost.com/issues/november-10-2015/why-melanoma-rates-are-increasing-in-adolescents-and-young-adults-especially-among-females/
- American Cancer Society. Basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf