Skin Cancer in People with Dark Skin Tones
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- Agbai ON, Buster K, Sanchez M, et al. Skin cancer and photoprotection in people of color: a review and recommendations for physicians and the public. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:748-762.
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2013, National Cancer Institute. Melanoma of the Skin (Invasive); Table 16.7. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/, based on November 2015 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2016.
- Wu XC, Eide MJ, King J, et al. Racial and ethnic variations in incidence and survival of cutaneous melanoma in the United States, 1999-2006. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;65(5 Suppl 1):S26-S37.
- National Cancer Institute. Staging. Accessed February 7, 2017 at: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/diagnosis-staging/staging
- SEER Cancer Stat Facts: Melanoma of the Skin. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD. Accessed January 17, 2017 at: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/melan.html
- Bradford PT, Goldstein AM, McMaster ML, Tucker MA. Acral lentiginous melanoma: incidence and survival patterns in the United States, 1986-2005. Arch Dermatol. 2009;145:427-434.
- Shenenberger DW. Cutaneous malignant melanoma: a primary care perspective. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85:161-168.
- NCCN Guidelines for Patients: Melanoma. Version 1.2016. Accessed February 2, 2017 at: https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/melanoma/