Causes of Skin Cancer: Genetic Mutations
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- National Toxicology Program. US Department of Health and Human Services. 14th report on carcinogens. Accessed January 11, 2017 at: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.html
- National Cancer Institute. Targeted cancer therapies. Accessed January 18, 2017 at: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types/targeted-therapies/targeted-therapies-fact-sheet
- American Cancer Society. What is targeted cancer therapy? Accessed January 18, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/treatment-types/targeted-therapy/what-is.html
- Lovly C, Pao W, Sosman J. 2016. Molecular profiling of melanoma. My Cancer Genome https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/disease/melanoma/ (Updated January 26).
- American Cancer Society. Basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf
- Hopkin M. Troublesome gene names get the boot. Nature. 6 Nov 2006. Published online: http://www.nature.com/news/2006/061106/full/news061106-2.html
- My Cancer Genome. Hedgehog signaling. Accessed January 18, 2016 at: https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/molecular-medicine/pathways/hedgehog-signaling
- Rudin C. Molecular profiling of basal cell carcinoma (Updated July 15, 2015). My Cancer Genome. Accessed January 6, 2017 at: https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/disease/basal-cell-carcinoma/.
- Taipale J, Chen JK, Cooper MK, et al. Effects of oncogenic mutations in Smoothened and Patched can be reversed by cyclopamine. Nature. 2000;406:1005-1009.
- Atwood SX, Sarin KY, Whitson RJ, et al. Smoothened variants explain the majority of drug resistance in basal cell carcinoma. Cancer Cell. 2015;27:342-353.
- McCain J. The MAPK (ERK) pathway: Investigational combinations for the treatment of BRAF-mutated metastatic melanoma. P T. 2013;38:96-108.
- Lo JA, Fisher DE. The melanoma revolution: from UV carcinogenesis to a new era in therapeutics. Science. 2014;346:945-949.
- Harwood CA, Proby CM, Inman GJ, Leigh IM. The promise of genomics and the development of targeted therapies for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Derm Venereol. 2016;96:3-16.
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf