How Does Skin Cancer Develop?
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- Bliss D. Layers of skin (illustration). 2005. National Cancer Institute visuals online. Accessed February 8, 2017 at: https://visualsonline.cancer.gov/details.cfm?imageid=4366
- American Cancer Society. Basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf
- Rudin C. Molecular profiling of basal cell carcinoma (Updated July 15, 2015). My Cancer Genome. Accessed January 6, 2017 at: https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/disease/basal-cell-carcinoma/.
- Firnhaber JM. Diagnosis and treatment of basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:161-168.
- Taipale J, Chen JK, Cooper MK, et al. Effects of oncogenic mutations in Smoothened and Patched can be reversed by cyclopamine. Nature. 2000;406:1005-1009.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. Actinic keratosis. Accessed January 10, 2017 at: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/actinic-keratosis
- Lovly C, Pao W, Sosman J. 2016. Molecular profiling of melanoma. My Cancer Genome. Accessed January 6, 2017 at: https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/disease/melanoma/.
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf
- PubMed Health. Lymphatic vessels. Accessed February 1, 2017 at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0022680/
- NCCN Guidelines for Patients. Melanoma. Version 1.2016. Accessed January 31, 2017 at: https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/melanoma/