What Is Skin Cancer?
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. Skin cancer facts & statistics. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts
- American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures, 2017. Accessed March 8, 2017 at: http://bit.ly/2ksCPAg
- Rogers HW, Weinstock MA, Feldman SR, Coldiron BM. Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer (keratinocyte carcinomas) in the U.S. population, 2012. JAMA Dermatol. 2015;151:1081-1086.
- Shenenberger DW. Cutaneous malignant melanoma: a primary care perspective. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85:161-168.
- SEER Cancer Stat Facts: Melanoma of the skin. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD. Accessed January 17, 2017 at: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/melan.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Sunburn and sun protective behaviors among adults aged 18-29 years--United States, 2000-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:317-322.
- National Toxicology Program. US Department of Health and Human Services. 14th report on carcinogens. Accessed January 11, 2017 at: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.html
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf
- American Cancer Society. Basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf
- Firnhaber JM. Diagnosis and treatment of basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:161-168.
- McIntyre WJ, Downs MR, Bedwell SA. Treatment options for actinic keratoses. Am Fam Physician. 2007;76:667-671.