What Are Common Risk Factors For Skin Cancer?
Written by: Sarah O'Brien | Last reviewed: May 2017.
- National Toxicology Program. US Department of Health and Human Services. 14th report on carcinogens. Accessed January 11, 2017 at: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.html
- American Cancer Society. Melanoma skin cancer. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf
- Wu S, Cho E, Li WQ, Weinstock MA, Han J, Qureshi AA. History of severe sunburn and risk of skin cancer among women and men in 2 prospective cohort studies. Am J Epidemiol. 2016;183:824-833.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Sunburn and sun protective behaviors among adults aged 18-29 years--United States, 2000-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:317-322.
- Firnhaber JM. Diagnosis and treatment of basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86:161-168.
- Corona R, Dogliotti E, D'Errico M, et al. Risk factors for basal cell carcinoma in a Mediterranean population: role of recreational sun exposure early in life. Arch Dermatol. 2001;137:1162-1168.
- Ransohoff KJ, Ally MS, Stefanick ML, et al. Impact of residential UV exposure in childhood versus adulthood on skin cancer risk in Caucasian, postmenopausal women in the Women's Health Initiative. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:817-823.
- Wehner MR, Chren MM, Nameth D, et al. International prevalence of indoor tanning: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150:390-400.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Indoor tanning. Accessed January 18, 2017 at: https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care
- American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures, 2017. Accessed March 8, 2017 at: http://bit.ly/2ksCPAg
- American Cancer Society. Basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Accessed January 5, 2017 at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf
- Dawes SM, Tsai S, Gittleman H, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Bordeaux JS. Racial disparities in melanoma survival. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;75:983-991.
- SEER Cancer Stat Facts: Melanoma of the skin. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD. Accessed January 17, 2017 at: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/melan.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. Moles. Accessed January 18, 2017 at: https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/bumps-and-growths/moles - overview
- Leonardi-Bee J, Ellison T, Bath-Hextall F. Smoking and the risk of nonmelanoma skin cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Dermatol. 2012;148:939-946.